Construction to begin on Hurstbourne Parkway and I-64 | Transportation
LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) – Road construction is set to begin on Interstate 64 in Louisville on August 6.
Kentucky Transportation Cabinet officials said they will be adding turning lanes at some of the I-64 ramps and build additional travel lanes on Hurstbourne Parkway.
“The I-64/Hurstbourne Parkway interchange is one of the busiest interchanges in Louisville with approximately 60,000 vehicles each day,” said Matt Bullock, Chief District Engineer for the Department of Highways Louisville District, in a press release. “This project will help reduce congestion and delay as well as improve vehicular safety.”
According to KYTC, during the first phase of construction they will add an additional left turn lane from southbound on Hurstboure Parkway to I-64 east.
Other improvements included in the project are:
• An additional lane on southbound Hurstbourne Parkway between Linn Station Road and Interstate 64
• An additional lane on northbound Hurstbourne Parkway at Linn Station Road, resulting in three travel lanes
• An additional left turn lane on the exit ramp from westbound I-64 to southbound Hurstbourne Parkway, resulting in a dual left turn
• An additional lane from southbound Hurstbourne Parkway to the entrance ramp for westbound I-64, resulting in a dual right turn
• Restriping westbound Linn Station Road to provide a triple left turn onto southbound Hurstbourne Parkway
• Addition of sidewalks along southbound Hurstbourne Parkway between Linn Station Road and Bluegrass Industrial Parkway
Lane closures are possible weeknights from 9:00 p.m. until 6:00 a.m. the following morning and on weekends from 9:00 p.m. on Friday until 6:00 a.m. on Monday. Shoulder closures are possible during daytime hours.
MAC Construction and Excavating, of New Albany, Indiana, was awarded a contract in the amount of $4.5 million which is being paid through federal interstate maintenance funds. Work is scheduled for completion in the summer of 2013.
The starting date and duration of work may be adjusted for inclement weather or other unforeseeable delays. Dial 511 or log on to 511.ky.gov for the latest in traffic and travel information in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
Copyright 2012 WAVE News. All rights reserved.