Nine-hour SWAT standoff ends with two arrests; meth lab investigation in PRP | News
LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) – A nine-hour swat team situation in the Pleasure Ridge Park area ended early Thursday morning, March 24, with the arrest of two people.
LMPD responded to reports of suspected drug activity at a home at 6307 Greenwood Road. Around 7:30 p.m. on March 23, the LMPD Narcotics Unit showed up at the home looking for a possible meth lab. When they arrived, the man living inside, 47-year-old Clifford Rawls, barricaded himself inside a room of his home.
SWAT negotiators tried to coax Rawls out of the home, but were unsuccessful. Tear gas eventually had to be deployed, but that didn't seem to faze the suspect, police say.
Just before 5 a.m. Thursday, SWAT team units made their move, storming the home and pulling Rawls out. He was taken into custody without further incident.
He's preliminarily facing charges of possession of marijuana, possession of a controlled substance, and illegal possession of a firearm.
Immediately after his arrest, police went to work to investigate whether there was a meth lab inside the home.
The intersection of Greenwood and Terry had to be closed for several hours while crews continued that investigation, making it a slow morning commute for people trying to get to Pleasure Ridge Park High School.
At least one business - a McDonald's restaurant in the area - was ordered to close and had to be evacuated by police.
Right after LMPD made the scene about 7:30 Wednesday night, officers found a woman inside the home, who surrendered peacefully to police. Tammy Linnig, 47, is facing preliminary charges of possession of marijuana and possession of a controlled substance. Police believe she is the girlfriend of Rawls.
There was never a hostage situation, as police say she surrendered while Rawls barricaded himself inside.
Rawls faces several charges, including manufacturing meth.
Copyright 2011 WAVE News. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near East/Northeast Louisville
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Car filled with smoke in parking lot of gentlemen's club leads to arrest
- LMPD: Man admits role in armed robbery outside Walmart
- Woman arrested after taking Lortab before driving
- LMPD: Liquor store employee accomplice to armed robbery of business
- Man arrested for passing out over steering wheel of SUV stopped at light
- Reward for information in Kroger employee's murder increased to $30,000
- Reward increased to $25,000 in murder of Kroger employee
- Police: Murdered Kroger employee was targeted, not a random victim
- Police: Leads, but no motive for murder outside St. Matthews Kroger
- Police following 'several solid leads' after Kroger employee's murder