Norton Commons YMCA opens its doors | Families
LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) – The Norton Commons YMCA opened on Friday.
The newly constructed 45,000 square foot Brownsboro Road facility is decked out with a double-wide indoor track, a family pool with a giant water slide and plenty of classes.
The opening of the eastern Jefferson County location was highly anticipated. Some members showed up before dawn on Friday.
“I started at 5 a.m., and I was fortunate to teach the first cycling class here,” said employee Mike Bramer. “At 6 a.m., we had six brave souls wake up early and come in to do that. We had over 50 people come in by 10 a.m. to try out the place on this first day, and we’re looking forward to a big weekend.”
2,000 people are expected to file in before the weekend is over.
The Norton Commons Y is fully operational. The people who used the facility on Friday signed up early. More than 1,500 families took advantage of early sign-ups.
Sunday is the first day the new Y will be open to the public.
Copyright 2013 WAVE News. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near East/Northeast Louisville
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Car filled with smoke in parking lot of gentlemen's club leads to arrest
- LMPD: Man admits role in armed robbery outside Walmart
- Woman arrested after taking Lortab before driving
- LMPD: Liquor store employee accomplice to armed robbery of business
- Man arrested for passing out over steering wheel of SUV stopped at light
- Reward for information in Kroger employee's murder increased to $30,000
- Reward increased to $25,000 in murder of Kroger employee
- Police: Murdered Kroger employee was targeted, not a random victim
- Police: Leads, but no motive for murder outside St. Matthews Kroger
- Police following 'several solid leads' after Kroger employee's murder